It would appear that the Clan Drummond was named after Sir Malcolm Drummond, steward of the ancient Celtic Earldom of Strathearn. It first appeared around the year 1270. Later in the 12th century this Earldom had become famous hunting grounds. He joined forces with Robert the Bruce, fighting alongside him at Bannockburn in 1314. For his services as a trusted Royal supporter, he was granted more land which strengthened him as a Strathearn landowner
It is believed that the name Drummond derived from Drymen in Stirlingshire. The lands around Drymen had been given to Maurice, grandson of the King of Hungary, by King Malcolm III
History shows the Drummond clan's association with the Scottish monarchy:
1369 - Margaret Drummond married David II
1367 - Annabella Drummond married Robert III
1497 - Margaret Drummond was James IV mistress, possibly they secretly married and had a daughter -Lady Margaret Stewart.
Some of the Scottish nobles wanted James IV to form an alliance with England through his marriage to Margaret Tudor, sister of Henry VII. Margaret Drummond ( which ones is this) and two of her sisters objected to this arrangement and were poisoned.
The Barony of Drummond was established in 1488 with the completion of Drummond castle near Crieff three years later by Sir John Drummond. Future generations received titles as Earl of Perth, Lord Madderty and Viscount Strathallan.
The Clan Drummond remained loyal to the Royal Stuart line fighting against the Hanoverians ithe Jacabite wars of 1715 to 1745. In 1715 the 5th Earl of Perth led the Jacobite cavalry at Sheriffmuir. The final battle at Culloden in 1746 saw the destruction of Bonnie Prince Charlie's Jacobite army. The 6th Earl led the defeated left wing in the attack.
In 1746, those Clans who had fought on the loosing Jacobite side were stripped of the lands and weapons. However these were eventually restored.
The current occupants are Ancasters who are descendants from the female line of Drummonds.
The castle was built on a rocky outcrop by John, 1st Lord Drummond. The 2nd Earl, a Privy Councillor to James VI and Charles I, succeeded in 1612 and is credited with transforming both the gardens and the castle. The keep still stands but the rest of the castle was restored and largely remodelled by the 1st Earl of Ancaster in 1890. From the east gateway on the Crieff Muthill road, visitors drive up the long beech avenue to the car park and then walk to the outer castle court. On passing into the inner courtyard and attaining the top of the terracing the full extent and majesty of the garden is suddenly revealed. The dominant feature of the parterre design is a St Andrew's Cross with the multiplex 17th century sundial at its centre. A strong north-south axis runs through the garden, down the impressive flight of steps to the sundial, through the classical archway and kitchen garden beyond, cutting a swathe through woodland before rising to the top of the opposing hillside. This idea of drawing the countryside into the garden is essentially French; however, Drummond has a diverse garden design together with it's Italian style with its fountains, terracing, urns and statuary.