Historical Bridge of Gaur

Historical Bridge of Gaur once called the Braes of Rannoch. After the defeat of the Jacobites at Culloden (1746) the Redcoats were stationed at The Barracks at Braes of Rannoch (now called Bridge of Gaur). However, Dugal Buchanan, the evangelist (1753), showing great courage, moved fearlessly amongst these wild men. He preached at large open air meetings persuading them to give up their thieving and savage ways. He and his wife taught them new trades and crafts, and the soldiers introduced agricultural schemes, and even built a new village for the people. Between them they brought peace to Braes of Rannoch. The Redcoats are remembered because of the village which they called Georgetown after their king. The soldiers were hard pressed to cope with this lawlessness for they aim was to bring peace to the area. Less enduring was this name given by ex-soldiers to this settlement which was a step too far, since it had been strongly Jacobite, so it rapidly returned to the earlier name of Bridge of Gaur.

Buchanan is remembered because of the Monument erected in The Square at Kinloch Rannoch and the first Church built at the Braes as a result of his evangelism. The flagstones on the chancel floor in the church are from one of the early churches.

Rev. Archibald Eneas Robertson (A.E. Robertson 1870 - 1958) was a renowned Munro-bagger. He was born in Helensburgh, the son of a prosperous merchant. He began climbing Munros in 1889, two years before the list of Scottish mountains over 3000 feet (914m) had been published by its creator Sir Hugh Munro (1856 - 1919). Robertson had climbed 45 Munros by the time he joined the Scottish Mountaineering Club in 1893. He accumulated further conquests gradually through the succeeding years until, in 1898 and 1899, he undertook a determined campaign which resulted in him reaching the top of a further 147 Munros. This campaign made extensive use of both the developing rail system and his trusty bicycle, and was carefully planned to link the peaks in the most efficient manner, without unnecessary climbing. Although Archibald completed the Munros without the aid of a motor car, he made extensive use of the developing rail system and many other forms of transport as well, such as steamer, rowing boat pony and trap, mail cart, stage coach, and in particular, the bicycle. He was never without a roof over his head at the end of a day in the hills, and in an era when the glens were more populated, would often overnight at gamekeeper’s or shepherd’s cottages during his longer treks.

In September 1901, Robertson climbed Meall Dearg (Glen Coe) and became the first to complete every Munro. He served as the parish minister at Braes of Rannoch (1907-20).

He later developed a keen interest in photography and went on to serve as President of the Scottish Mountaineering Club (1930-32) and as Chairman of the Scottish Rights of Way Society.

Return to History of Perthshire

Return to the Perthshire home page