Historical Killin

MacNab Burial ground Killin Perthshire

Historical Killin is connected to the celtic saint 'St Fillan'. The coming of Christianity to Breadalbane, towards the end of the 8th century, is attributed to St. Fillan, who, like St. Columba came from Ireland. He is reputed to have been the keeper of some the famous 'healing stones' which are now kept in the Breadalbane Folklore Centre located in the Old Mill close to the falls.

The village has been the home of many ancient celtic tribes, saints and clans who have all left their mark on the village and its surroundings. Very little is known of the earliest inhabitants, but they have left their mark in the form of cup and ring marked stones, stone axes at the Creag-na-Caillach axe factory, and crannogs - stilted dwellings in the loch.

The village has had a stormy history dating back to Black Duncan of the Cowl, who owned all this land at one time. For the past 1000 years, the MacNab clan has long been associated with Killin and the ancient burial ground of the family on the Island of Inchbuie in the river Dochart is visible from the bridge. There is also evidence of a Roman fort on this island, also called Yellow Island, and according to the legends of Killin, it is haunted. The ghost of the last person buried stands guard over the island until the next burial, when a new ghost takes his/her place. Visit the Standing Stone, which is a well-preserved historic site, and the ruins of Finlarig Castle, once owned by Black Duncan.


Return to History of Perthshire

Return to the Perthshire home page