Historical Rannoch Station
Historical Rannoch Station is almost next nothing, a bit like the place itself! Situated on the railway line from Glasgow to Fort William, the station lies at the road end, 5 miles (8 km) west of Loch Rannoch in Perth and Kinross. The Station itself was built c.1890 and at the north end of the platform is the sculpted head of J H Renton whose financial support ensured the completion of the West Highland Railway line across Rannoch Moor. The railway line was constructed by 5000 Irish labourers who laid the track on a floating bed of turf, brushwood and ash. To the south is the 208-m (227-yard) nine-span concrete Rannoch Viaduct built by Sir Robert McAlpine.
The hotel was built to house the civil engineers working on the building of the West Highland line which began in 1889. Covering a distance of 101 miles from the Firth of Clyde to Fort William this is the longest stretch of railway ever to be constructed at one time. It was also one of the most difficult. It took 5000 men five years to build, and the line was built on top of a floating causeway of brushwood over Rannoch Moor.
Return to History of Perthshire
Return to the Perthshire home page