Historical Blair Atholl

Historical Blair Atholl is the history of the Atholl family, Clan Murray and the Atholl Highlanders regiment. The Earldom of Atholl was given to Sir John Stewart of Balvenie in 1457 but the line failed and in 1629 the then heiress, daughter of John 5th Earl of Atholl, married John Murray, Earl of Tulliebardine on whom Charles I bestowed the earldom of Atholl.

Blair Atholl Watermill is one of Scotland's oldest working water mills dating back to 1590's. It continues to stonegrind oatmeal and flours for sale and for use in the mills own tea room. The mill is one of the last eleven working watermills still operational in Scotland, It worked continuously until 1929 when it ceased production mainly because it could not compete with the new industrial mills.

In 1644 Blair Castle was occupied by the Marquis of Montrose and was again garrisoned by Claverhouse in 1689. Claverhouse fell at the Battle of Killiecrankie (27th July 1689). The battle lasted only a few minutes and was fought not in the pass itself but on higher ground near Urrard House one mile to the North.

The Soldier's Leap at Killiecrankie, the pass below the Visitor's Centre, is a formidable jump said to have been cleared in retreat by one Donald MacBean of Mackay's forces. On the way down to the leap there is a viewpoint that earned commendation in Queen Victoria's diary after a visit by her in 1844

Take a visit to the Struan Bridges. No where else will you see a road bridge crossing over a river and a railway bridge crossing over both road bridge and river. The road bridge is a single arch stone bridge built in the 2nd half of the 18C. The railway bridge is a stone viaduct across the River Garry. The railway line was completed in 1863, a second rail viaduct was built in 1899. This became known as The Highland Railway.

Return to History of Perthshire

Return to the Perthshire home page