Tullibardine Chapel is a small medieval church founded by the Murray family for the use of the Earls and Dukes of Atholl. Marquis of Tullibardine is the title of the eldest son to the Duke of Atholl.
It is one of the most complete and unaltered small medieval churches in Scotland, founded in 1446 and largely rebuilt about 1500. The church today is no longer in use, but much of the architectural detail has survived.
2M NW of Auchterarder off the A823 Crieff road.
Open Summer Only.
The Chapel is near Auchterarder in Perthshire.
The chapel's south transept.
The Chapel tower.
The north transept of the Chapel.
The Chapel viewed from the south.
The Chapel's north transept. Note the coat of arms plaques to left of window and above the door.
The Chapel's choir and altar transept.
This stone is a typical example, the angel at the top and the skull, crossbones and hourglass, symbols of man's mortality.
Inside the Chapel looking towards the south transept.
Inside the Chapel looking east towards the choir and altar transept.
Inside is a panel bearing a coat of arms for the Murray and Stewart alliance through marriage.
Inside the Chapel looking towards the north transept.
Although the chapel was not used after the Reformation, the churchyard continued to be used for burials for some time afterwards.