Visit Bridge of Gaur

Visit Bridge of Gaur a hamlet in west Perthshire.

The village lies immediately south-east of a bridge that crosses the River Gaur before entering the western end of Loch Rannoch. The three-arched granite bridge crossing the Gaur was built in 1838 by Sir Neil Menzies to commemorate the accession of Queen Victoria.

The River Gaur (Gael: Abhainn Gaoire) extends for 7 miles (11 km) in Perth and Kinross, linking Loch Laidon in the west with Loch Rannoch in the east via Loch Eigheach. It enters Loch Rannoch at Bridge of Gaur and receives en route the Abhainn Duibhe, Allt Chomraidh and Allt Chaldar.

A loch in west Perthshire, Loch Rannoch extends 10 miles (16 km) from Kinloch Rannoch in the east to Bridge of Gaur in the west. It has an area of 1917 ha (4737 acres) and reaches a depth of 134m (440 feet). The loch is dammed at its eastern end and forms part of a major hydro-electric scheme. The ancient pine forest known as the Black Wood of Rannoch lies to the south and the Moor of Rannoch extends westwards to Glen Coe.


Return to Bridge of Gaur

Return to the Perthshire home page

Travel Business