Castle Menzies Perthshire

Castle Menzies Perthshire is a 16th century castle in Strathtay, central Perthshire, lies to the west of Weem, near Aberfeldy. It takes the form of a Z-plan tower and replaces a castle that was burned to the ground in 1502.

It is believed that Menzies families were well established in Perthshire by the middle of the 12th century. They had earlier strongholds before the present castle such as Comrie Castle situated between the River Lyon and the high ground leading up to Drummond Hill to its south and 4 miles west of the Castle, is just a small ruin now. After a fire at Comrie Castle the present area under Weem Rock was chosen by Sir Robert Menzies (11th Baron of Menzies) in 1488 to build a new mansion. It was called the Place of Weem but unfortunately was itself burnt down when attacked by Neil Stewart the then owner of Garth Castle in 1502. At some point thereafter the older Z-shaped building was erected. It is uncertain if the second building is on exactly the same site as the older one.

However it later had to survive through the Covenanters religious troubles of the mid-17th century and the Jacobite rebellions of 1715 and the '45. In 1715 it was occupied by the Jacobites and in the '45 again by the Jacobites including their leader Prince Charles Edward Stuart (Bonnie Prince Charlie) only to be rapidly occupied 4 days later by the Duke of Cumberland's forces.

Situated in the ancient homeland and owned by the Clan Menzies chiefs until 1918, it is now in the care of the Menzies Clan Society. Feel free to visit their website Castle Menzies Of particular interest are the great hall, with its ceiling commemorating the Union of 1707, Prince Charlie's Room, where the Young Pretender slept for two nights on his way to Culloden in 1746, and an anteroom with a collection of memorabilia.

In 1840 another wing was added by architect William Burn using the same stone (quarried from the hillside on south side of Loch Tay) and the style in keeping with the old building. It connected up with the 18th century added wing.

Return to Visit Weem
Return to the Perthshire home page

Click on images to enlarge

Castle Menzies
Castle Menzies, Weem