Loch Faskally is retained behind (54 feet)Pitlochry Dam, which was built between 1947-50. The Dam also hosts a fish-ladder, which allows salmon passage upriver to their spawning grounds.
The Clunie Memorial Arch is located on the northwest side of Loch Faskally and leads to an attractive riverside picnic area. It was built to the same dimensions of the tunnel that carries water between Loch Tummel and the Clunie Power Station. The tunnel itself measures 2791 metres (9158 ft) in length and 400,000 tons of rock were removed during its construction.
The circular walk from Pitlochry to Killiecrankie follows a route close to the Loch and then along the banks of the River Garry and is one of the best low level walks in the area. Much of the walk is through oak and deciduous woodland, rich in wildlife such as red squirrels and woodland birds. Another highlight is the beautiful Linn of Tummel, a natural salmon leap at the meeting point of the Rivers Garry and Tummel.