Alyth Folk Museum featuring displays on local agrarian history and the Alyth Hotel
was the home of the inventor James Sandy (b.1766) who created the invisible
Alyth Queich (or burn), with its several bridges, now runs through the centre of the town. The town is located on a burn which bears its name and owes its position to a confluence of drovers' roads used by hill farmers to bring their sheep down to market.
There has been a church here for many centuries. The first was founded in the sixth century by St Moluag and was one of the earliest places of Christian worship in this part of Perthshire. The ruins of this old church, known locally as The Arches, stand in a graveyard in a prominent position at the top of the town, is all that remains of this first stone church. Robert the Bruce is said to have worshiped here in 1326.
Don't forget to visit Alyth Parish Church, built in 1839 to the grand Gothic style, with Romanesque influences, especially in the windows. It also has an unusually high spire.
The Alyth Pictish stone is a reminder of the early mission days when St Moluag and his faithful band exerted a great influence over the district. Dating from the 8th or 9th century, the stone is a natural slab of crystalline rock upon which is incised a simple Latin cross.
A picturesque 17th century Packbridge is among a number of stone bridges crossing the burn in the village. The bridge was thought to have been built between 1480 and 1514 and certainly existed before 1624. Parapets were added at the start of the 19th century. Carts were backed into the burn to stop the wooden wheels from drying out.
The Old Woolmarket Cross (erected in 1670 by the Earl of Airlie), was sited originally by the churchyard gate in Toutie Street, or the Causeway, as it was once known. It eventually proved an obstruction to traffic and had to be removed but was erected again in 1913, this time at the Market Square, by the Dowager Countess of Airlie.
Near the town are the ruins of Bamff Castle, a Ramsay stronghold, and to the north-east on Barry Hill stands an Iron Age fort that also has traditional associations with the King Arthur legend.