Do I need a visa to visit Perthshire, Scotland?

by Ali
(Durban, South Africa)

I am thinking of coming to Scotland and Perthshire this summer. Do I need a visa to cross the border to Scotland? I am a resident in South Africa and my stay for six months or longer. Are there any special requirements I will have to meet to be able to visit?

Comments for Do I need a visa to visit Perthshire, Scotland?

Average Rating starstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Mar 04, 2010
Here is your answer
by: Mike

Hi Ali
Visitors to Scotland (and the rest of the UK) must hold a valid passport before starting their journey. Please note that children may require their own passports.

As for staying here, EU citizens can stay as long they want; other Europeans up to three months; if you're from the US, Canada, Australia or New Zealand, you can stay up to six months, as long as you've got a return ticket and funds to cover your stay. If you are visiting from anywhere else you'll need a visa. If you aren't from an EU nation, you'll need a work permit to work here legally.

All overseas nationals who wish to enter the UK must satisfy the immigration officer at the port of arrival that they meet the requirements of the UK immigration regulations. Application forms to download, lists of visa nationals and information on how to apply for a visa, as well as guidance written especially for visitors coming to the UK are available online from the UKvisas website. The Immigration Advisory Service offers free advice for anyone applying for entry to the UK.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Question about Perthshire.